A good few weeks. Hillclimbs at Gurston and Prescott, the model aircraft indoor nationals (happy with 5th there), I managed to fit the gear linkage, and got stuck into making the new firewall.
I just wasn’t going well at Gurston, and was in fact slower than last year, when I wasn’t as fast as I could have been. We’ll put that one down to experience, and I’ll hopefully put in a better performance when I go back later in the year. At least I opened my scoring in the HSA championship.
Prescott was much better. The intense cold meant that I was somewhat surprised by the lack of grip at Etores the first time round. I set myself two targets – faster than last year and sub 1 minute. Achieved the first and nearly the second. Last run 60.00!!! I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry (I chose the former.) This was my first Midland Champs event – there aren’t any other 1.4’s in the production classes, so I’m using these as practice for the HSA rounds.
The very wet bank holiday Monday allowed me some time to get on with the RF84. The next tasks on the list were to fit the gear linkage and make and fit a new fire wall. Apart from the tedious task of re-tapping the holes (that again) fitting the gear stick and linkage was relatively straight forwards. Re-tapping the holes was not helped by the fact that tubes prevented the tap holder making a complete turn – deep joy.
Cutting the fire wall out was more straightforwards than I expected. I screwed the old one through the new material into a sheet of MDF. Then used the old firewall as a drilling jig. It was suggested that I use a jigsaw to cut it out by a friend who restores Austin 7’s and Wolseley Hornets, and this worked really well – thanks for that one Jack. Some filing remains to be done, but the new firewall is looking OK, and certainly neater than the old one.
Next weekend is free so I should be able to finish the firewall and move on to some other tasks. And I may be putting some new cams in the Panda – we’ll see how that one pans out.